Twitter

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

St. Patrick's Rune

The first fantasy book I ever read was A Swiftly Tilting Planet, by Madeline L'Engle. My reading up until this point consisted of The Hardy Boys series, which I still credit for my love of reading. Nonetheless, Frank and Joe Hardy were pretty vanilla to say the least. A Swiftly Tilting Planet mesmerized me and really opened that door to how imaginative fiction could be. I still think about St. Patrick's Rune, which plays a part in the book. It's wonderful, and if I make any money from YA fantasy series I am writing, Camp Lac Igam (coming soon), I will get this poem tattooed on my arm. Here it is:
St. Patrick's Rune
At Tara in this fateful hour,
I place all
Heaven with its power,
And the
sun with its brightness,
And the
snow with its whiteness,
And the
fire with all the strength it hath,
And the
lightning with its rapid wrath,
And the
wind with its swiftness along its path,
And the
sea with its deepness,
And the
rocks with their steepness,
And the
Earth with its starkness
All these I place
By
God's almighty help and grace
Between myself and the powers of darkness

No comments:

Post a Comment